Thursday, October 6, 2011

Response to Online e-books

The main purpose of technology is to make something better and for it to work with ease. Online e-books do just that but are they really benefitcial? Well after reading a recent article published by AVID I started reconsidering wether or no e-books were better than old fashioned printed books. Some may prefer one over the other and as an article i recently read states "New technologies are seductive, but we should always nthink twice before rushing to replace old tools with new ones" (AVID article Paragraph 16). That quote represents how before we replace something old with something new we really have to evaluate the pros and cons. The pros of an e-book are the fact that e-books are a lot lighter than those heavy textbooks that we all are forced to carry around. However, the cons are that the when on an e-book a student may be temped to check various social networking sites such as facebook or twitter. And as a matter of fact I recently did my math homework by using an online textbook because i dont feel like bringing my outragiously heavy textbook home with me. While I was hard at work I was also on facebook when I heard a certain ping that notifies me of a notification or message which further proves that e-books may be more distracting than printed books.

1 comment:

  1. Nice response (I liked your citation) but this is not the required length.

    ReplyDelete